A page or set of pages which actual has presence on the Internet is a domain or a web page. In other words a domain name is a substitute that replaces the Internet Protocol (IP) address, it’s denote by www which means World Wide Web. Let’s take an example , assume Nick a Local business owner want to expand his garments business worldwide and want to improve his sale.
For this he needs to active on internet. He will buy a domain on business and make it live on internet as ecommerce with domain name www.fashiontime.com . Also domain is change of IP address into a name.
Making the translation from an IP address to a domain name is accomplished through the Domain Name System (DNS). Using our previous example, you can see that it’s much easier to remember the domain name than the IP address.
How to Choose Domain Name?
Choosing a domain name is an important thing to building a website for online presence on internet. A domain name always has to be unique and different address for a website from others. A domain will always help you to strengthen your business, branding, and you will find audience for your website.
How Do Domains Work?
A website has two elements – a domain name and web hosting server. As we discussed a Domain name always linked with IP addresses. A domain also point on web servers and these servers work to host a website.
When you enter a domain into search engine or browsers it looks like an IP address through the global network.
When a user enters a domain name into a browser, it looks for the associated IP address through a global network of Domain Name System (DNS) servers. The domain name system (DNS) is a naming database in which internet domain names are located and translated into Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.
The server has information about IP address will return to the web browser. This will request the data about website from domain to hosting service. A web server stores a site’s data, including its files, images, database and HTML code. When a host sent data back to browser than it will automatically convert into web page for users which user can visit online.
Why Do a Domain Name Needed?
Domain name is as an important factor which helps to get visitors from browsers. So, it’s also important to discuss why domain name is need in actual.
Let’s discuss the reasons why a domain name needs for a business or project:
• Memorability. An audience can visit on site without a domain name by entering its IP address. It consists of a string of numbers, that is difficult to remember.
• Branding. A Domain name will help the project or business branding, in that way which aligns the brand’s values and branding mission.
• Credibility. Sites that use paid domain names looks more professional than a free domain name, like yourwebsite.websitebuilder.com is a free domain name which has low credibility, and yourwebsite.com looks professional and has high credibility.
• Email addresses. To build trust of users on site, need to have valid and unique email. Creating unique and professional business email like email@example.com will help user to reach out to you easily. It also makes your presentation consistent throughout different online channels.
• SEO (search engine optimization). A domain name with keywords will give positive impact on the website’s SEO (search engine optimization). Improving SEO by using several activities and relevant keywords will be improving site rankings on search engines.
Differences Between Domain Names and URLs
A domain name and a Universal Resource Locator (URL) has some similarities, but still different. URL is a complete web address by which visitors directly visit to a specific page of site.
On the other hand a domain name is just a part of it and consists of a protocol path and domain. The protocol shows whether a site has an SSL certificate or not.
URLs have a path only when it directs to visitors on a specific page of a site.